Free School Meals and Other Educational Benefits
If your income is low, you may be entitled to free school meals and other educational benefits. This will also bring in more income from the government to Millthorpe School.
What are the benefits for my child?
If you are eligible, the following benefits are available:
- £50 voucher per child to help with school uniform costs at the start of Y7. This is redeemable at major clothes outlets including Keal Teamwear who supply Millthorpe School uniform.
- £100 per year per child to help with school uniform costs for students in Years 8-10
- Free curriculum-based school trips which take place during the school day for your child
- A discount on residential school trips
- Free school meals for your child
What are the benefits for Millthorpe School?
Millthorpe receives extra money from government under the Pupil Premium scheme for all children registered for these Educational Benefits. This extra money is very valuable and helps Millthorpe to support students.
Even if you would not like your child to receive free school meals on a regular basis, Millthorpe School would benefit from the Pupil Premium, and your child will get free curriculum trips and can take up a free school meal on any day they choose.
How does my child qualify?
To qualify, your child must be in full time education and parents or carers must be in receipt of one of the following:
- Income Support or Employment and Support Allowance (Income-related)
- Income-based, not Contribution-based, Jobseekers Allowance
- Child Tax Credit combined with both an annual household income below £16,190 and not receiving Working Tax Credit
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
But I don’t want my child marked out?
Information on who is eligible for educational benefits is kept confidential. Students entitled to free school meals will not be identified: they will select their meals and pay in the same way as all the other students. Students entitled to free school meals will have their accounts credited every day with the value of a free school meal; parents may add additional money to their child’s account if they wish. Trip payments will be handled in a similarly discreet way.
How do I apply for educational benefits for my child?
The first step is for school to do a quick and simple check for you. Either ring the School Office on 686400 or email email@example.com and provide your legal forename and surname, your date of birth and your National Insurance Number. We will then be able to confirm if your child is eligible for Educational Benefits. All such applications will be dealt with in the strictest confidence.
Alternatively, you can complete and return to the School Office an Educational Benefit Form, available from the City of York Council website.