Spring Concert Tuesday 14 March 2017
The Spring Concert is taking place on Tuesday 14 March at 7pm in the Main Hall. Tickets are £3.50 for adults and £2.50 for children/concessions, and are available to buy in the Dining Hall at break times.
Year 8 Parents’ Evening Wednesday 29 March 2017
A reminder that the Year 8 Parents’ Evening is taking place on Wednesday 29 March. If you have not requested any appointment times but would like to, please complete and return the appointment request form to school by Monday 13 March. You can also complete the appointment form online by visiting www.surveymonkey.com/r/Y8-Appointment-Form.
Year 11 GCSE Art Information
Next week all Year 11 GCSE Art students will be finalising their preparation work and continuing to practise their final exam piece. The exam fortnight starts the week beginning Monday 20 March with all students completing the ten hour exam period in 2 five hour exams. Essential preparation work is available on Show My Homework.
Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) Information
Are you a parent or carer of a child with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities? Visit the yor-ok.org.uk/families?website for up-to-date, reliable and helpful information for families who have children, aged 0-25, with disabilities and additional needs.
Family Fund Tea Party Tuesday 14 March 2017
Family Fund are holding a tea party and information day to help families who are raising disabled and seriously ill children find out about the support available to them. The event is taking place on Tuesday 14 March from 9am to 1pm in the Priory Street Centre, York, YO1 6ET. Please click herefor more information.
Parent Carer Information Day Wednesday 22 March 2017
This will take place at New Earswick Folk Hall. Meet representatives from a range on organisations including York Carers Centre, York Parent Carer Forum, Family Fund and SENDIASS (Special Educational Needs and Disability Information and Advice Support Service). Please click here for more information.
Following on from the City of York Council Apprenticeship event last week, the Council has set up a system allowing students who wish to apply for an apprenticeship to be emailed local vacancies on a weekly basis. Should you or your child like to receive an email, please complete the form on the school website by clicking here. This service also allows you to specify what job sectors you are interested in so you receive relevant information.
eCLIPS Careers Advice Website
School has invested in an online careers advice package called eCLIPS which is available to all students, parents and carers. The site allows you to search for specific information on a job role or to investigate different jobs linked to a subject area. It also has advice and guidance on decision making, further and higher education choices and life skills. The site is accessible from all school computers and also the careers page on the school website.
National Careers and Apprenticeship Week
This week we have been celebrating National Careers and Apprenticeship Week with a range of activities:
- Clare Brint from Network Rail spoke to Year 7 and Year 8 about her role within the company managing and preventing landslides.
- Shino Kojima came in and talked with Year 8 about her job as a Japanese translator and interpreter.
- Year 9 had an assembly on Apprenticeships.
- Andy Caulfield from Ordnance Survey came in to speak to Year 10 Geography students about his job as a surveyor. He also visited our Duke of Edinburgh Awards students to give guidance on OS and compass apps.
- Richard Pitwood spoke to some Year 10 French students about his work as a translator.
- Luke McCrum came in from Askham Bryan to talk to some Year 10 students about the Higher Education options available in Sports at his institution.
- Dennis Price and Emma Skilbeck from A-one+ (Highways agency) spoke with Year 11 engineers about opportunities in engineering.
- We have also held drop-in sessions with York College for Year 11 students needing support and advice on applications.
- Our careers advisor has worked additional hours seeing triple the normal number of students.
- We will also be arranging support sessions for Year 11 students applying for apprenticeships.
Many staff have included careers information during lessons and registration this week… don’t be surprised if you are asked about your job as part of a homework this weekend!
Girls’ Golf Taster Sessions in April
There are a number of free golf taster sessions for girls taking place across Yorkshire; for more information and to book a place please click here.
Parking outside school
Please click here to read information from North Yorkshire Police regarding parents and carers responsibilities when dropping off and collecting children from school.
Friday 10 March 2017